Thursday, July 30, 2015

Sated for a steal: Mentality behind the meal

So I love to cook.  Preferably in large quantities so that I can feast on leftovers instead of insta-food when work has left me wiped out for the day. Not that I don't enjoy me some Ramen or boxed mac and cheese, but, you know, nutrition and all that.  So I try and make food with both health and reheatability in mind.

I also prefer to keep my meal costs pretty low. Like many, bills and student loans keep me pretty well under thumb, so I try and save where I can. This used to mean a lot of that insta-food I mentioned, but I've found over time I don't have to give up quality meals to cut costs.

Now, I know food prices vary depending on location, time of year, coupons or sales, and other factors, so I'm not going to base my meals on being under a certain amount. After all chicken isn't always the cheapest, the veggies you want aren't always in season, and sometimes you need to invest a little in a staple that will cover multiple meals. I think saving is more about creativity with ingredients, patience to really shop and compare, and gaining experience as you go.

That being said, sometimes I do spend a little extra. The point of saving to me is to not waste money so as to afford other wants or needs. So yes, I might post a bit more lavish recipe once in a while. But I still try hard to spend as little for my luxuries as possible.

So with all this being said, it's time to get to the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment