Monday, August 3, 2015

Recipe: Inside Out Stuffed Peppers


So let me tell you something.  For most of my life, I've been a picky eater.  Very picky.  As in, it's only been in the last five or so years that I've learned to like such things as tomatoes, peppers, jelly, boxed mac and cheese....yes, that picky.  Once I realized I liked peppers (a few months ago), I of course had to learn to make stuffed peppers.  

What drew me to stuffed peppers originally is how pretty they look.  What keeps me eating them is the fact that not only do they have awesome built in portion control (if I'm feeling serving size conscious), but they can be changed up.  Beef and rice, chicken and lentils.  I've seen Philly-cheese steak, and breakfast themed.  What was I craving for this batch?  Spinach and artichoke dip.  I figured I could do rice stuffing up this way and get my fix without the guilt of glutting on chips and dip.

Now, clearly this isn't actually a stuffed pepper.  That was my original intent when I bought ingredients.  But then I was bopping around on food sites, and saw a stuffed pepper casserole.  Mmm.  Stuffed pepper comfort food style?  Don't mind if I do.  I love a good rice dish after all.


Since I was using brown rice, I got that started first.  I love how hearty it is, but it does take about an hour to be ready.  Then I got to work on the peppers.  As luck had it, they were on sale, three for a dollar.  I love it when sales happen to coincide with my meal plans.  I dumped the mass into the skillet, and let them cook down a little while I chopped artichokes.  I just use the canned ones.  Maybe one day I'll learn to prepare them fresh, but this day was not that day.


I added the artichokes, thawed frozen spinach, and garlic into the peppers.  Then I uttered a profuse thanks to my parents for buying me a giant skillet.  They're great at enabling my need to cook.  


For a lighter dish, I might have added the veggies to the rice as is.  But I had spinach and artichoke dip on my mind.  There would be no yielding.  In went cream cheese, milk, and shredded cheese, along with some chili powder.  I used Colby Jack for this dip, but you could use a number of different melting cheeses like Gruyere or Mozzarella.  I stirred, trying not to drool as it melted into thick, saucy goodness.


Parmesan to finish it.  You're probably going to notice I love Parmesan as we go.  I go through tons of the stuff.  It has been declared a food group in my household.  I could probably write a blog devoted strictly to Parmesan.  But that would just be giving myself excuses to eat even more of the stuff.  I need to draw the line somewhere...


All blended together, I added it into the rice.  Slowly and carefully.  I seem to have a knack for spilling when pouring from that giant pan.  But I managed this time to not lose any.  The end result: a vat of spinach and artichoke themed inside out stuffed peppers.


It was delicious, not to mention hearty and filling.  Being just my husband and I, we ate it all week.  I got ten generous portions out of it.  I imagine a family of four, eating it as a side along with a protein, could get three to four night's worth of meals easily.  I'm thinking maybe some skillet steaks or grilled chicken next time I make it.

Now, just with a rough calculation, this cost me between ten and fifteen dollars.  That's less then two bucks a serving.  I can't get fast food this cheap and delicious.  And even though the initial job took a tad over an hour, my dinner time cooking for the next few days was done.  Just a quick spin in the microwave, and dinner was served.  By the way, this was actually better the next day.  I love dishes that are even better as leftovers.

So here's the recipe

Inside Out Stuffed Peppers: Spinach and Artichoke Dip Style

2.5 cups Brown Rice
5 Medium Bell Peppers (diced)
16 oz Bag Frozen Spinach (thawed)
14.5 oz Can of Artichoke Hearts (diced)
8 oz Package of Cream Cheese (softened)
1 cup Milk
1 cup Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
1/2 cup Parmesan (grated)
5 tsp Minced Garlic
2 tsp Chili Powder

1. Prepare rice according to package directions.
2. Saute bell peppers on medium heat until they have softened.  Stir in spinach, artichokes, and garlic.
3. Dividing into chunks, add cream cheese.  Allow heat to begin melting, then add milk.  Stir until cream cheese has melted into mixture.
4.  Add shredded cheese and chili powder.  Stir until combined and smooth.  Stir in Parmesan.
5. Add mixture to rice in large pot or bowl.  Stir to combine.  Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment